EBook and reference databases
These databases provide eBooks or reference-type information such as encyclopedias, dictionaries and almanacs. Some databases provide one reference title, and some provide a collection of the reference titles.
- Log in to databases using your NetID/password when off-campus. It will be the same user name and password that you use to log in to the on-campus computers (netID@my.lsco.edu/password). Databases with the globe icon are freely available on the Web, no login required.
- Database articles in PDF format require Adobe Reader software, a free download.
- Click a tutorial icon for basic instruction on using the database from the database providers. Some tutorials require the Adobe Flash Player, a free download.
- Academic World Book A comprehensive reference tool that includes encyclopedia, multimedia, e-book, and primary source databases, fully integrated in a single search.
- Biography.Com Web site from the A&E network series, Biography, providing biographies of famous people.
- Country Studies Book-length profiles of countries worldwide, published by the Library of Congress.
- Credo Reference Over 600 reference books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, and handbooks on all topics.
- EBook Collection (EBSCO) Large all-subject collection of eBooks published from the 1990s to early 2000s. Links to these eBooks are also provided in the library catalog.
- Encyclopedia Americana Standard all-topic encyclopedia with a North American emphasis.
- ERsysInformation on U.S. cities: demographics, climate, cultural aspects, schools, housing.
- FedStatsStatistics from U.S. government agencies.
- Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia (Ebsco) Standard all-subject encyclopedia.
- Gale's Virtual Reference Library (Gale) Collection of many reference books and series sets from academic disciplines.
- Handbook of TexasEncyclopedia about Texas, its history, culture, people and places.
- Literary Criticism Online (Gale) All volumes of the Gale reference set Short Story Criticism (over 100 volumes)
- Literary Reference Center (Ebsco) Several reference book series providing literary criticism, includes Masterplots, Critical Surveys and others, plus numerous works of classic literature.
- Literature Resource Center (Gale) Literary criticism essays and author biographies from numerous book and journal sources.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context (Gale) Controversial topics covered in several book series from Greenhaven press, plus newspaper, magazine, journal, statistical and Web site sources.
- Serials Directory (Ebsco) Information about current periodicals and serials available in publication.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States(Historical Records) The Statistical Abstract series of U.S. compiled by government agencies, has statistics from 1789 to 2012.
- StatRef (Teton Data) EBooks (86 titles) of medical and reference books on medical and nursing topics.
- Texas Reference Center (Ebsco) Magazines, journals and history book information on Texas history.
- Your DictionaryWebsite of English and foreign language dictionaries.
More database options are available on these database lists: